Richmond Home

Student Organization Finances

The Center for Student Involvement assists all SOBAC-funded student organizations with maintaining their budgets. Please use the resources you find on this page as a guide to handling your org finances.

Treasurer's Toolbox

Almost all forms of spending organizational funds begins with initiating the process in OrgSync, called a “payment request.” There are various resources in the Treasurer’s Toolbox (found under “files” on your organizational portal) to assist you with this process.

Spending Money

There are six different ways to spend money. Check your Treasurer's Toolbox in your organization's OrgSync portal for more information about using each of the follow methods:

  1. Budget Transfer: used to transfer funds to another student organizations or a university department; most commonly used in co-sponsorship opportunities.
  2. Check Request: used to pay for organization-related expenditures (event decorations, food for program/speaker events, DJs, speaker honoraria, equipment rental, etc.).
  3. Member Reimbursement: used to reimburse a member's organization-related expenditures up to $50.
  4. Campus Charge: used to pay for charges made on campus (e.g. Print Shop, etc.) directly from your account index. (Note: Do not purchase items on campus that will require reimbursement!)
  5. Organization Credit Card: to pay for organization-related expenditures (program-related materials, such as event decorations, food, equipment rental, prizes, or gift cards).
  6. Organization Travel: registration fees and materials, transportation, lodging, tolls, parking, taxi, and shuttles.
Depositing Money

Depositing money can come in the form cash/check, contributions from another department or organization on campus, or Spider Cards.

Receipts and Reimbursements

Any time you make a purchase on the Student Involvement P-Card, or you wish to seek a reimbursement, an itemized receipt must be submitted. If you fail to return an itemized receipt after using the CSI P-Card, your privileges will be suspended. If you fail to return an itemized receipt for a personal reimbursement, we will not be able to reimburse you.

Treasury Access in OrgSync

If you can’t access the Treasury Tab, it’s generally because you need to be granted access by your organization’s portal administrator, usually the President or Advisor.

If you are not sure who the organization’s portal administrators are, select the 'People' module along the Top Toolbar.

Next, click 'All People' in the top left of the page and select the administrator group.

To give your treasurer access in OrgSync, follow the steps below in your organizational portal:

  • People > Locate the member and select > Permissions > Select the “budgets” box

If the administrator of your portal does not know how to promote your status, direct them to the following article.


Planning trips and travel can take several weeks or even months to plan depending on what kind of arrangements need to be made. Please allow at least 4 weeks of planning time for trips from 1-3 days in length, for longer trips, allow at least 8 weeks.

In anticipation of your trip, please fill out the travel form located in the Treasurer’s Toolbox on your OrgSync portal.

Travel Events are organization-sponsored events or activities that take place off campus and require travel. In order to qualify for funding, travel must meet the following criteria:

  1. Must benefit or promote the University of Richmond, and/or benefit the students of the University.
  2. Must occur between August 1st and the last day of Spring classes.
  3. Organizations must generate ≥ 20% of off-campus travel and conference costs (lodging, registration, transportation). Food expenses incurred during organizational travel are not eligible for SOBAC funding.

Fundable transportation methods include: Airfare, Amtrak or other University-approved train, University-approved Charter Bus or Van, University Van, Zipcar. Please note: Greyhound and Megabus are not approved by the University for SOBAC funding.

  • SOBAC funding covers any fees incurred in the attainment of University's Driver's Safety Program Registration(s).
  • For insurance reasons, personal vehicles are highly discouraged, but may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • Please note: The University will no longer reimburse for gas expenses. All reimbursements will be based on the standard mileage rate set by the University
Schedule an Appointment
If you have questions about your organization’s budget, please schedule an appointment with Vittoria Tripp.
Supplemental Funding Application

The purpose of this application is to provide a central location for student organizations to submit a request for supplemental funding. Upon receipt of the request, the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) will review and direct requests to the appropriate funding sources (i.e. departments, schools, offices). Please allow up to two (2) weeks to process and notify each funding recipient. As of January 1, 2020, student organizations are NO LONGER permitted to go directly to deans, offices, and/or departments to request supplemental funding. All requests must complete this application process. If there are specific departments/office that may have a specific interest in this request, please indicate such information on the designated application space.


To access this application, click here.